Priyanka Chopra opens up about child marriages in India!

International actress Priyanka Chopra is a universal icon, a gifted actor-singer and also a humanitarian. She is a Unicef Goodwill Ambassador and has been visiting numerous countries and met underprivileged children.

Lately, during a chat with a tabloid, Priyanka was questioned about her meet with these children. To which she specified, "Philanthropy was a very big part of my upbringing. My family always believed that no matter where you are, no matter how bad your conditions are, there will always be someone who is worse off than you. So, you have to sort of understand the privilege we come from, and from that privilege comes the social responsibility."

She further revealed, "I think that from the time when I became Miss World, I became an adult... in a way when I won, even though I was 17, I grew up suddenly. I felt... I have a position that [I could] use to be able to actually make a tangible difference in the world, and not just talk about it but do it."

Priyanka further added, "And then, I started looking for ways to be able to do it. So, I associated with a lot of causes, I met a lot of people and a lot of organisations that actually did what I wanted to do. My relationship with UNICEF started about 11 years ago and it still continues."

When questioned if she has ever faced questions like child marriages still exist in India, Priyanka responded, "Yeah, of course. I can’t give you names. A generic thought is [about] arranged marriage, child marriage, rapes... those are the questions."


The gifted actor finished conversation by telling, "It makes me want to come back and do something about it. I’m not a liar, so I can’t turn around and say it doesn’t [happen]. But at the same time, I’m not going to be someone who says that’s all India stands for. Every country has its own issues. We have these issues; they [West] have their issues. The point is finding a solution, and that’s what I try to focus on."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Race to Box Office 2024: Bade Miyan Chote Miyan secures 3rd and  Maidaan 9th spot at Box Office Collections chart!

With combined sales of less than Rs 20 crores, both of the Eid movies have underperformed in terms of first revenue. Now, everything depends...