My role cannot be compared to Vidya Balan's Begum Jaan, says Rituparna Sengupta!




Director Srijit Mukherji, lately publicized that Vidya Balan was always his first choice for the character of Begum Jaan in Rajkahini and not Rituparna Sengupta. This came as a shock for the actor, who confessed to having been hurt by his words, as the director never declared this fact to her. 

Talking to a famous tabloid, Rituparna told, "I was not aware that he had wanted Vidya in Rajkahini, too. Or why he’s [Srijit Mukherji] saying that today. We were in talks about doing a film together for the longest time. He had told me that he would come to me only when he had a role which matters. I was in Delhi attending an event. When I checked my phone, I saw it had 10 missed calls! He called again and said, ‘I have got something very exciting for you. I asked him to wait for me till I returned and the moment I reached Kolkata he was at my home, ready with the script and concept.”

Srijit in an interview previously had told, “Originally, Rajkahini was written to be a bilingual and I was supposed to cast Vidya Balan to play the role in both the films. Only after I didn’t get her dates and things didn’t work out, I thought of doing the Bengali film and approached Rituparna.”

But, Rituparna asserted with confidence that nobody will forget Rajkahini's Begum Jaan and it doesn't matter to her who was the first and second choice. “I am quite empowered that way. I can own things in my own way. I own my character Begun Jaan in me. Nobody will forget Rajkahini’s Begum Jaan. Who was the first and second choice doesn’t matter! I have a deep regard for my director and am aware of what the film has done for me, so there are no complaints," she told.

While speaking about Vidya's depiction as Begum Jaan, the actor told that she is sure Vidya has also interpreted Begum Jaan in her own way and will make it her own character. But, no comparison can be made between the two, she maintained.


The actor confessed that she has watched the trailer of the Hindi remake of Rajkahini which made her nostalgic. “I have watched it and there’s a feeling of déjà vu. Every scene, every nuance, every shot is so similar to Rajkahini, I felt that I was seeing my own film — only the faces have changed. I was like, ‘Oh my God! I am seeing my own film in a different way!’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Varun Dhawan’s niece Anjini Dhawan and Salman Khan unite for film Sikandar!

Anjini Dhawan, the niece of Varun Dhawan , debuted in Bollywood with Pankaj Kapur in Binny and Family . Even though the dramedy might not ha...