Found love in 'enemy territory': Swara Bhaskar

Human relations are greater than politics. That's what actor Swara Bhaskar has learned after two "unforgettable" visits to what she once thought was "enemy territory" but where, after two visits to Pakistan, she was showered with warmth, hospitality and free 'chai and samosas' for being an Indian.

Her first visit to Pakistan was in 2005 with a friend. It was, as she describes, "two college girls who just decided to liven up their lives by visiting enemy territory".

"I think that trip taught me that people are always more important than some policies or actions of their government," Swara said, post her second visit last month.

This time, she went there for "work".

"I had gone for some meetings over a potential international film project that would require me to play a Pakistani immigrant, but also it was a chance for me to visit friends I have not met in 10 years as I visited Pakistan in 2005 and made some lasting friendships.

"Both my visits to Pakistan were made beautiful and memorable by the hospitality, warmth and friendship of my hosts, friends and even random strangers I met," she further added.

The talented actress, who has featured in Bollywood films like "Tanu Weds Manu" and "Raanjhanaa", recollected how in 2005, on the bus to Lahore, when some of their Pakistani fellow travellers learnt that she and her friend were travelling alone to Pakistan for the first time, they made "three serious offers to stay in their houses".

"In fact, traders in Lahore's iconic Anarkali market fed us samosas and tea and biscuits when they learnt that we were Indian," she said.

After both her visits, she says "the one stereotype of Pakistanis that is true is that they are the best hosts ever and are generous and magnanimous to a fault with their guests".



"My own experience was that Pakistan, the place and its people were very different from my imagination of them. I think the internet and social media can play a very positive role in enabling the people of both countries to reach out and connect with each other on a human and more personal level," added Swara, who will soon be seen in "Tanu Weds Manu Returns" on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Race to Box Office 2024: Bade Miyan Chote Miyan secures 3rd and  Maidaan 9th spot at Box Office Collections chart!

With combined sales of less than Rs 20 crores, both of the Eid movies have underperformed in terms of first revenue. Now, everything depends...